Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Lucid Dreams & the "Delta Hum"


I remember one of the first times I experienced what I now call the "delta hum"; I was a young teenage girl laying in my bed at night and this sound began deep within my head, and it got 'louder' and more intense until I couldn't take it, and I shook my head and it dissipated. I thought nothing of it and forgot about it by the next morning.

This type of experience happened often in my teenage years, and I never told anyone about it, because I figured I was hearing things, and was "crazy". I was already quirky enough as it was, I didn't need my friends and family thinking I was even weirder than they thought. The hum stopped some time in my early twenties, and I all but forgot about it until it returned about 8 years ago. This time I was older, and somewhat wiser, and met the experience with curiosity rather than fear (though to be honest, it still did cause me anxiety to experience it).

Let me explain the hum a bit, and why I call it a delta hum. It's pretty hard to describe it, because I can't really compare it to anything else. Let's just say it's like having a pipe organ in the middle of your head, but all the keys pump out white noise instead of tones. The white noise is multi-tonic though, as there are different pitches and levels of sound. This pipe organ of white noise starts out so gradually and quietly that I'm not aware of it until it becomes "louder", and I use the word louder loosely because it isn't an auditory experience, I'm not really hearing the hum so much as feeling it and being aware of it in different ways. The hum is like someone has smashed down 20 different keys on the white noise pipe organ, and it gets louder and louder, until I can feel it vibrating within my head and eventually my body. I did a lot of digging and researching about 8 years ago when the hum returned, and began to understand that the only time the hum ever came upon me was when I was drowsing, and beginning to enter a delta sleep state - the state where you're crossing the boundary between conscious wakefulness and light sleep.

At that point in my life, eight years ago, I was meditating regularly on a daily basis, and once in a while I would find myself drifting off to sleep after a peaceful meditative experience, and one afternoon after an especially pleasant meditation I was drifting off, though still aware of my surroundings, and the sounds within my home. The hum began gradually and quietly and I thought to myself that this time I was going to 'go with it'. So I breathed deeply, relaxed further and just let the hum keep building.

It built up to the point that I thought my mind would go deaf (if that reference makes any sense to you then you're getting my point completely!) but I pushed the anxiety down and let the hum continue.

And then it happened!

I realized I was now asleep, but still consciously aware of my physical body and location. I focused on the hum and it lulled me into a dream and for the first time in my life I found myself in a lucid dream with the ability to direct it completely.

It was a beautiful experience and I began to realize that this hum was not physical at all; but rather was connected to the electro-magnetic energy within my body and brain. I believe some people are naturally able to lucid dream, as well as astral project, and as I continued to experiment with the delta hum I found that I could do both things, and that the hum was something like a gateway, or a nexus point for my travels.

To this day, when the hum comes upon me I let it guide me into a gentle state of awareness while sleeping. However, I don't experience the hum often at all any more, and I attribute this to the myriad pain killers I am on for my spinal diseases. These medications numb the mind and body, and the hum simply eludes me 99% of the time now.

I know that when I eventually have my surgery and am able to live an every day life without the need of narcotics I will be able to access the delta hum again, and as I get older I find more profound and intimate desires for my lucid dreams and out of body experiences. I am eager to communicate with various aspects of my Higher self as I have in previous experiences.

If you're interested in this type of spiritual experience, then perhaps you can see if you can tap into your own delta hum. It's very simple really, deep breathing exercises while laying in bed preparing to sleep can help you to relax enough to focus on your biology. Focus on your breathing, your lungs, your heart, and the blood flowing through your entire body, being pumped through your heart, pounding through your veins and arteries, and being transported into your brain. Become absorbed in the workings of your blood and oxygen, and then call upon the hum; it doesn't come from anywhere in particular, and in fact I now understand that this hum is always evident within our bodies. The hum is your energy, your frequency, the electricity within your body and brain, so all you're going to do is "listen" more intently for it. You may want to incorporate Chakra cleansing exercises into your breathing/meditation as this may help you to get into a delta receptive state.

If you're able to detect your hum you can expect a normal amount of anxiety at first, it's a new experience and it's rather bizarre, and it's quite natural to want to turn it off as quickly as you become aware of it. Don't feel dismay if you immediately shut the hum down the first few times you tap into it, it's okay to have this very human response. But if you stick with it, you may amaze yourself with how far you can take the experiment.

I'd love to hear the results of your own experiences with the delta hum, feel free to comment, email me or let me know via Twitter .

Here's wishing you lucid dreams and peaceful sleep!

2 comments :

  1. Now this is so interesting Dee. I always enjoy late at night as it's very quiet. I don't hear a hum, but I can almost hear a noise that sort of resembles the ocean...if that makes sense. It never gets super loud, but it's very calming. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ocean is another great way to describe the hum, and as it gets 'louder' it's like the ocean is crashing harder against rocks!

    ReplyDelete

Your feedback is always welcome; please be constructive